Padua ( Patavium in Latin, Padoa in Veneto, Esten in old German) is an Italian town of 214,601 inhabitants, capital of the province in the Veneto.

It is the terzocomune the region in population and the most densely populated.

The city of Padua is home to a prestigious and oldest universities, boasts numerous testimonies of its glorious artistic and cultural past, which make it a destination for tourists from all over the world. It is now an important economic center, one of the largest and most important centers of intermodal transport, including river, across Europe and is now the largest inland port in northern and central Italy.

Padua conserves one of the most extraordinary and revolutionary masterpieces of medieval art, the Scrovegni Chapel, shown at the beginning of the fourteenth century by Giotto.

It is universally known as the city of St. Anthony, the famous Portuguese Franciscan, born in Lisbon in 1195, who lived at Padua for some years and died there (June 13, 1231). The remains of the saint are preserved in the Basilica of St. Anthony, the destination of many pilgrims from all over the world and one of the main monuments of the city.

The Taming of the Shrew, a comedy by William Shakespeare, is set in Padua.

Territory

Padua is located at the eastern end of the Po Valley about 10 miles north of the Euganean Hills and about 20 miles west of the Laguna Veneta. The municipal area extends over 92 km ², entirely flat and crossed by several rivers, which over the centuries have given shape and protection to the city.

The city rests on a soil composed of fine silty-sandy material, while the gravelly sediments are rare. The distribution of the various stratigraphic levels is very irregular because of the frequent digressions and variations of the rivers which have undergone during the last geological (see for example the route of Cucca). To the west of the city in rural areas of the district are clearly visible Montà various riverbeds of the river Brenta.

It borders:

  • north with Cadoneghe, Limerick, Vigodarzere, Villafranca Padovana
  • east with Legnaro, Padua Noventa, Saonara, Vigonovo, Vigonza
  • West with Abano Terme, Rubano, Selvazzano Inside
  • south with Albignasego, Ponte San Nicolò

As regards the seismic risk is classified in Padua zone 4 (seismicity irrelevant) Ordinance PCM 3274 of 20/03/2003.

The waterways

The city was founded and developed within the watersheds of the rivers Brenta and Bacchiglione therefore have strongly influenced the urban fabric (which give fascinating glimpses of many corners of the city).

In the past, these waterways were key to the city's economy, especially for the presence of numerous mills and for their obvious commercial function, secondly, to link the city with the nearby Venice and other centers in the province of Padua . Furthermore, the channels have long been a valuable addition to the fortifications of the city. The river engineering works that have followed over the centuries, largely through the initiative of the Water Authority of the Republic of Venice, have reduced the risk of flooding that could affect the city's urban fabric, the last major works date back to '800. The current complex system of connections between the city's canals and locks can handle and drain flood waves also significant, without too much risk for the city. The only area that could possibly be at risk, and only in the presence of exceptionally large floods, is the south-eastern Terranegra (whose name is indicative of the fact that even in past centuries was often involved the flood).

The waterways leading citizens are:

  • Brenta, which originates from the lakes of Levico and Caldonazzo, and crosses the border north of Padua delimiting the northern district from neighboring communities.
  • Bacchiglione after receiving Tencarola in the waters of the Brenta Brentella through the channel, enters the city from west to Bassanello where it divides into three sections:
  • Channel Battle, an ancient man-made canal (XII century) that is separated from the river Bacchiglione Bassanello in town, now in the southern outskirts of the city, then head south toward the centers of the province, then rejoining the network of channels through the final stretch of the river.
  • Channel drain, which turns westward built by the Austrian government in 1830 to regulate the flooding of the river and remodeled in 1920. Conveys it out of town most of the river.
  • Trunk Master who turns to the north and along the center of town to the west and north, to Port Contarine; served as a channel for the defensive side of the north-west of the thirteenth century walls. It was mainly used for navigation.
  • Internal vessel, which branches from the trunk master, through the historic center to the south and east, following what was the path of Medoacus and rejoins the main branch at the Gates Contarine. It was used mainly to feed the mills and he detached several secondary channels, including the channel of Santa Chiara, which leaves the city to the south-east to rejoin the canal just beyond Piovego.
  • Channel Piovego, originates from the confluence of the Trunk Master and assistant at the Gates of the waterway Contarine and then continues through the Brenta and Venice, bordering the north sixteenth century walls.
  • Brentella Channel, old excavation (XIV century) to the west of Padua, which leads to Bacchiglione the waters of the Brenta.

The work of burying the city's canals, especially the interior canal (now Riviera Roman Bridges) from the fifties, had decreed a long period of neglect, and of course have altered irreparably the close alliance between Padua and its waters . It is only in the nineties that there has been a recovery of the city's waterways, now covered again by boat, and which in the early years of this century we have tried to invest in the direction of river tourism.

The green areas

The city of Padua boasts 2,512,945 square meters of green areas, 1,680,939 sqm of equipped green (green neighborhoods with playground, bike trails, multipurpose fields ...), 11.91 square meters of greenery per inhabitant, 2 , 69% of green space in the total area (data of 2005).

Padua in 2006 won the first prize for the Green City , assigned to Genoa at the event Euroflora 2006 .

Some examples of green areas Padua:

  • The Botanical Garden of Padua, the oldest university botanical garden that still exists in the world heritage and UNESCO ', contains (among many other plants) so-called palm S. Peter, where Goethe spent some writings;
  • Island Memmia the center of Prato della Valle;
  • Park de Treves' Bonfili;
  • the gardens of the Rotunda;
  • the "Lungargine drain, and Codotto Maronese, Terranegra": a pedestrian path of about 8 km bridge connecting the drain (Bassanello) with the bridge of St. Gregory (Terranegra) and in the first section offers a "life path" (path-equipped gym) ;
  • Garden and Christmas Venturini, located along the canal near the Piovego Stanga, 2003 by hosting a copy of the lion of St. Mark (XV century) recovered to hatch in the ditch along the walls.
  • The Garden of the Righteous of the World dedicated to those who opposed the genocide and crimes against humanity.

Places of worship

  • Cathedral and Baptistery
  • Basilica of St. Anthony of Padua - one of the most famous places of worship of Christianity, visited by hundreds of thousands of pilgrims every year. Inside there are many sculptures of Donatello, including Christ on the altar. There are also relics (including the famous tongue) of St. Anthony of Padua
    • School of the Holy (cycle of frescoes by various painters, including the young Titian)
    • Oratorio di San Giorgio (frescoes Altichiero)
  • Abbey of Santa Giustina - the preparation of the Benedictine Reform of the fifteenth century, and one of the most important Benedictine abbeys in the world. It houses the relics of St. Luke
  • Scrovegni Chapel - home to the famous masterpiece of the cycle of frescoes by Giotto Scrovegni, and is now visited only by appointment.
  • Church of the Hermits.
  • Church of St. Nicholas
  • Church of Santa Maria dei Servi
  • Church of St. Sophia
  • Basilica of Carmine and Scoletta
  • Synagogue of Padua, located in the central area of the Ghetto (adjacent to Squares)

Palaces

  • Palazzo della Ragione, also called Fair-Head of City Hall
  • Palazzo del Bo - The historic headquarters of the University
  • Loggia Amulea
  • Loggia and Odeo Cornaro
  • Loggia of the Carrara
  • Coffee Pedrocchi - the famous "Coffee Without Doors"
  • Town Hall (Palazzo Moroni): the thirteenth century, extensively remodeled in the sixteenth century by Andrea Moroni, expanded in 1904 by going to occupy the ground on which he insisted the fourteenth-century warehouse of Blade (demolished). It is adorned with statues attributed to Titian Minium.
  • Grand Lodge of the Guard
  • Liviano Palace - Seat of the Faculty of Humanities
  • Zabarella Palace - Home to Shows and Events
  • Palace Zuckermann
  • Maldura Palace - Another historical site of the Faculty of Humanities
  • Pawnshop
  • Palace Shots
  • Palazzo Cavalli
  • Palazzo San Gaetano, became a center of cultural

The porches

One of the reasons to be proud of Padua is the porches, are scattered everywhere in the city center and have a total length of about 12 km, Padova hoisting the second place in the world, behind Bologna, the highest ratio between kilometers of roads and those of the arcades. The tradition of building in the city taking advantage of this solution architecture is ancient, there are arcade-style Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Neo-classical and modern. They make possible the crossing of the whole historical center is protected from rain and sun.

Originally the development total was over 20 km. After Venice and Padua succumbed to become part of the republic (1405), the noble families of segments eliminated porches to emphasize the facades of their buildings.

Other monuments

  • Prato della Valle
  • Botanical Garden
  • Tomb of Antenor
  • Castle and Observatory
  • Arch Vallaresso
  • Gardens Arena
  • Silvio Appiani Stadium

Museums

  • Civic Museum of Padua - the circuit that goes by this name includes:
    • Multimedia Room of the Scrovegni Chapel , for a virtual tour of the famous Chapel of Giotto.
    • Archaeological Museum , contains thousands of artifacts from pre-Roman, Roman, Egyptian, Greek, Etruscan and Italiot.
  • Medieval and Modern Museum of Art , contains about three thousand paintings of Venetian painting from '300 to '900 (Giotto, Guariento, Bellini, Giorgione, Romanino, Titian, Bassano, Veronese, Tintoretto, Strozzi,> Piazzetta, Tiepolo, as well as various foreign artists, especially Flemish and Dutch).
  • Palazzo Zuckermann , in turn host:
    • Museum of Art. Application and Decorative Arts
    • Museum Bottacin
  • Archaeological Museum of environmental waters of Padua
  • Museum of the Risorgimento and of the contemporary
  • Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art
  • Museum of the boarding unknown (at the temple of the same name)
  • Museum of the Third Army
  • Museum of antique instruments, Belzoni-Technical Institute Boaga
  • Museum of the Holy
  • Oratorio di San Michele (see under Monuments of Padua, Second Section)
  • Bridge of San Lorenzo
  • Museum of machines "Enrico Bernardi"
  • Museum of history of medicine and health in the hospital of San Francesco Grande
  • Mariner's Museum in Italy
  • Museum of Zoology
  • Museum of the History of Physics
  • Museum of mineralogy and petrography and paleontology
  • Museum of pre-cinema: The Collection Minici Zotti
  • The Observatory - Castle Ezzelino and Torlonga
  • Palazzo Zabarella
  • Archaeological Museum of Science and Art
  • Main Floor of the Coffee Pedrocchi
  • Esapolis, the largest of Italy insectary
You are here: Home City of Art Padua

NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it. Learn more

I understand