St. Andrew the Apostle Church - Chioggia

The name "CLOCK TOWER" will emphasize the uniqueness and specificity of this museum housed in the ancient bell tower of St. Andrew.

About thirty feet high with a thick base of more than four feet, Roman-Byzantine origin, was used as a lighthouse and a watchtower.

Renovated in October 1997, with positioning of the various plans and their safety, was inaugurated and opened to the public as "vertical museum," since September 16, 2006.

The museum runs through the various plans, allowing the visitor, albeit briefly, to know the history of the city, the church of St. Andrew and the "clock tower".

At the entrance to the historical events of the tower and its various uses over the centuries are briefly described through a few documents from 1339, the old iron cross, which until 1912 ruled the city from the tower, now welcomes the visitor.

In the first and second floor is a collection of maps of the city, of St. Andrew's church and its tower, maps from the archives and local history of the province.

From the third floor of the historic route is enriched testimonies of faith and popular piety and the collection of numerous ex-votos dedicated to Our Lady dell'Addolarata and stole the precious gift of the Cardinal Patriarch of Venice Aristide Naccari (source Chioggia), facing was a gift from Pope St. Pius X.

A "green matrix", which tells of the seven sorrows of Our Lady (the originals are on display at the Diocesan Museum), and the ancient Via Crucis 1906, complete the brief religious path.

The pride of the museum, from which also derives its name, the medieval clock (contemporary with that of Salisbury in England) is the culmination of a path in the "time" marked by a series of astronomical information and an astrolabe that accompany visitors on a historical journey-time.

The MEDIEVAL CLOCK

On February 26, 1386 clock tower was already on the north-west of the Civic praetorian palace, from May 31, 1839 is transferred to the parish of St. Andrew by the municipality during the demolition and reconstruction of the ancient town hall.

The master Aldo Bullo, an expert in medieval gadgets, reconstructed with painstaking persistence throughout the history of clock and watchmakers, sifting in the historical archives of the city .

A valuable contribution to the promotion of this "living fossil" was given by Prof. Ettore Pennestri Department of Mechanical Engineering University of Tor Vergata in Rome with a thesis of graduate student Ana Rivero Mediavilla and Ing. Marisa Addomine President of the Italian Register of tower clocks.

The clock has undergone some changes over the centuries, the most significant inclusion of the pendulum after Galileo, the original structure, still almost intact, is divided into two parts
- the front one with the gear that keeps track of time;
- that Back to the gearing in charge strikes the hours.

In 1424 was made a repair to the wheel "Magistra" on the repair of four teeth.

There is no reason to doubt that the builders are the Dondi, large manufacturers of watches and sophisticated mechanical equipment (see "Astrario", a play which, by the Group Astrario of Chioggia, is located at the local Museum), and " dog's paw "at the end of the four montatnti side appears as a" trademark "which is identified with the family Dondi.

Texts by Aldo Bullo, Dino and Joan Memmo Bellemo
Photographs of Caesar Mantovan

You are here: Home Where We Are To Visit Museum of the Tower Clock

NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it. Learn more

I understand